IB Diploma Programme
The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program is an internationally recognized program of studies offered to highly motivated 11th and 12th-grade students. This program provides the academic rigor, structure, and experiences for students looking for the highest degree of academic challenge. IB students are challenged to use their education to "create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect." (IBO Mission Statement)
The IB Diploma Program is a two-year program of studies across disciplines with multiple components. After completing the required IB classes and taking the IB exams, students will receive an IB Diploma in addition to their Virginia high school diploma.
- Learn more about the IB Diploma Program
- IB Poster: 10 Reasons Why the IB Diploma Program (DP) is Ideal Preparation for University
The IB learner profile is the IB mission statement translated into a set of learning outcomes for the 21st century. The learner profile provides a long-term vision of education. It is a set of ideals that can inspire, motivate and focus the work of schools and teachers, uniting them in a common purpose.
To be awarded the IB Diploma students must:
- Completed six IB courses in different subject groups
- Complete assessments and external examinations in each group
- Participate in the Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) component
- Complete a Theory of Knowledge course
- Submit an Extended Essay
Details of How IB Diploma Attainment Requirements Points Are Awarded
Address comments and questions to Linda Bradshaw, AHS IB Diploma Coordinator, at @email or 703-642-4236.