Policies, Procedures and Rules
FCPS Regulation 2234 states that “regular attendance is necessary for maximum school achievement. In addition, punctuality and dependability in meeting assigned responsibilities are personal behavior habits valued in our society. To help students develop desirable behavior patterns, as well as maximize their classroom learning, Fairfax County Public Schools requires that students be punctual and regular in school class attendance. When attendance problems develop, the school system’s resources are made available to aid in solutions to these problems.” It is the responsibility of a parent or guardian to excuse absences within three days.
Excused Absences: Check-ins
Parents Should Provide the Following Information to the Attendance Office for Excused Absences:
A written note at the time of check-in that includes:
- the student's name
- ID Number
- grade level,
- the date, and
- the reason for the absence.
Unexcused Absences: If a written note is not provided by parents at time of check-in:
- Students will be signed in as Unexcused Tardy and have three days to bring in a note from a parent or guardian
**Please note that FCPS lists the following as excused absences:
- Illness of the student
- Death in the family
- Doctor's appointment
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Approved prearranged absences
- Other reasons acceptable to the principal.
**Please also note that students must assume complete responsibility for making up any assignments missed.
If a student is late to class they will be marked Unexcused Tardy or Excused Tardy. If student has an Excused Tardy, please report to the attendance office for a pass to class.
- Written notes are required to be brought to the Attendance Office before school starts.
- A pass will be given to the student stating the time the student is to be released from class to go to the Attendance Office.
- At the Attendance Office, the student will be issued a checkout pass which is kept by the student.
- Parents picking up students for a checkout must sign them out in the Attendance Office.
Attendance Codes in SIS:
Unexcused Absence = UNX
Unexcused Tardy = UNT
Excused Tardy = Excused Tardy
A phone message is sent home at 10AM and 4PM when a student is marked Absent for classes.