Policies, Procedures and Rules
FCPS Regulation 2234 states that “regular attendance is necessary for maximum school achievement. In addition, punctuality and dependability in meeting assigned responsibilities are personal behavior habits valued in our society. To help students develop desirable behavior patterns, as well as maximize their classroom learning, Fairfax County Public Schools requires that students be punctual and regular in school class attendance. When attendance problems develop, the school system’s resources are made available to aid in solutions to these problems.” It is the responsibility of a parent or guardian to excuse absences within three days.
Notification of an Absence
When it is necessary for a student to be absent from school, the parent must notify the school and explain the absence within 48 hours. The school will classify the absence as excused or unexcused. There is a 3-day limit to clear absences after which the absences remain unexcused. Parents can send an email to @email with the following information:
- Student name
- Student ID Number
- Grade level of the student
- Date(s) of absence
- Reason for the absence
- Be specific about the reason why your child will not be attending school today
- Please indicate whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise)
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Parent/legal guardian’s daytime telephone
*Please note that the email must come from the listed parent in SIS.
Examples of Excused Absences/Tardies:
**Please note that FCPS lists the following as excused absences:
- Illness of the student
- Death in the family
- Doctor's appointment
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Approved prearranged absences
- Other reasons acceptable to the principal.
**Please also note that students must assume complete responsibility for making up any assignments missed.
- Written notes are required to be brought to the Attendance Office before school starts.
- A pass will be given to the student stating the time the student is to be released from class to go to the Attendance Office.
- At the Attendance Office, the student will be issued a checkout pass which is kept by the student.
- Parents picking up students for a checkout must sign them out in the Attendance Office.
Attendance Codes in SIS:
Unexcused Absence = UNX
Unexcused Tardy = UNT
Excused Tardy = Excused Tardy
A phone message is sent home at 10AM and 4PM when a student is marked Absent for classes.